According to foreign media reports on January 31, Cambodian Central Bank Governor Chea Serey said this week that the bank will launch a "blockchain-based" digital currency before the end of this fiscal quarter.
(Image source: flickr )
Serey said that the digital currency program called "Bakong" is "the national payment gateway for Cambodia", which is actually a central bank digital currency (CBDC), Serey said:
- Former Federal Reserve Chairman: Libra and the central bank's digital currency are meaningless
- Analysis of CBDC International R & D (3): Who will master the "Adamian" of CBDC?
- European Central Bank executives post: double-layer CBDC mechanism may solve financial disintermediation and crisis
- The Central Bank Digital Money Institute recruits and recruits! These graduate students have the opportunity
- Research Report | The central bank will talk about legal digital currency, and the blockchain industry is expected to benefit?
- Financial Times: Central banks should learn to include digital payments in China instead of issuing digital currencies
Users of this closed system can connect wallets to their bank accounts and convert their fiat currencies into new digital currencies. This blockchain-based currency can be used for daily payments on mobile platforms.
Bakong will play a central role in bringing all participants in the Cambodian payment sector into the same platform, making it easier for users to pay regardless of which bank they eventually do business with.
Ultimately, we also want to allow cross-border payments through the Bagun system.
According to National Bank officials, the plan began trials last July and has now been supported by 11 banks. Serey expects more institutions to join the system soon.
Previously, PPCBank had used the system in all its branches, and Chang Moo told the Washington Post that Bakong was cheaper and more convenient than credit and debit cards.
But Moo said that because it is a public system, "at least in the short term," part of the bank's market share will be taken away by Bakong. But overall, this is a good thing, Moo said:
Bakong will eventually create a financially inclusive ecosystem that will benefit all stakeholders in the industry.
Author: Robert Stevens
Compilation: Captain Hiro
Source (translated): Babbitt Information (http://www.8btc.com/550816)