Regarding the planning of Ethereum in the next 5-10 years, Vitalik Buterin released a new roadmap yesterday, which indicates that the current research work on Ethereum 1.X, Ethereum 2.0 phase 0 and phase 2 is in an orderly manner. In the phase between phase 1 and phase 2, Ethereum 1.0 and Ethereum 2.0 will be merged to completely abandon proof of work (PoW).
Here is the tweet from Vitalik:
- alert! Highly respected DeFi is threatening Ethereum security
- Popular Science | PoS mining and bank deposits to earn interest, are the same?
- Vitalik Buterin: PoS has higher efficiency and security than PoW
- Last year's early adopters of Staking are now earning or losing?
- Vitalik Buterin: Ethereum 2.0 Phase 0 is expected to start this summer, and PoS will eventually become a reality
- Free and easy week review | 6 years of sword grinding, past and present of Ethereum PoS magic
This is my general view of Ethereum 2.0 in the next 5-10 years, and beyond. The roadmap below reflects my own views, and others (including my future releases) may have some different views. When we discover new information or new technology, of course, the details change.
Regarding the content of the roadmap, Vitalik concluded that:
- Sharding and ZKP (Zero Knowledge Proof) ensure that the verification cost is much cheaper than the individual recalculation of each transaction;
- Use PoS instead of PoW;
- Stateless verification
- Support arbitrary smart contracts (similar to today's Ethereum);
- Support the powerful privacy function of L2;
- 12 second block time, each block is equivalent to multiple confirmations;
In addition, Vitalik shared some of his views:
In general, in the past 2 years or so, we have gone from wild research to trying to understand what is possible, to specific research and development, we have tried to optimize the specific primitives we know and implement, achieve.
We know more about the capabilities and limitations of Proof of Stake (PoS), the security model of sharding, and more. Due to the hard work of many people, lunar mathematics like ZK-SNARKs are becoming more down-to-earth.
In addition, over the past 2 years, we have become increasingly inclined to maintain compatibility and ensure a smooth transition of applications, as well as bringing Ethereum 1.x and Ethereum 2.0 together as part of a unified vision.
And now, research continues, although most of the challenges today are around development, and the share of development will continue to grow over time.
In addition, there are fewer reasons to worry about the growing complexity. The "second sharding as the end of history" approach ensures that no major upgrade like Ethereum 1.0 to 2.0 is needed. And many changes are actually moving in the direction of reducing complexity . Look forward to seeing these great jobs happen and implement them! Finally, the translator simply translates the content of the roadmap:
Currently Ethereum 1.X (mainly stateless research), Ethereum 2.0 phase 0 and phase 2 research are being conducted simultaneously. Before phase 0 is officially released, there will be deposit contract, audit, multi-client test network, and client optimization. The official launch of phase 0 also means the birth of the Ethereum 2.0 beacon chain PoS network. In the first stage, the PoW Ethereum network of 1.0 will coexist with the PoS Ethereum network of 2.0.
After the launch of phase 1, Ethereum 1.0 and Ethereum 2.0 will enter the merge phase. After completing this process, the PoW of Ethereum 1.0 will no longer exist. This phase is also called the phase 1.5 phase of Ethereum 2.0 After that, Ethereum 2.0 will enter the implementation phase of phase 2 and phase 3. At this time, Ethereum 2.0 can truly support arbitrary smart contracts. In general, this will be an extremely huge project.