Official announcement: Microsoft added Bitcoin to the Excel currency option. Bitcoin is one step closer to the mainstream world.
The mainstream status of Bitcoin
To be a true mainstream, people have to overcome many obstacles, and Bitcoin has just crossed the biggest obstacle. Microsoft added cryptocurrency as one of its currency options in its Excel spreadsheet.
- Market Analysis: USDT issuance, BTC giant single
- Buffett and Bitcoin: The old stubborn new technology that I don’t understand has always been a rumor
- Bitcoin "New Bull Market", Li Xiaolai came back, and the off-site organization also came.
- Market analysis: BTC rebound is still weak, pay attention to the downside risks in the short term
- Why does BTC not let the world economy fall into a "deflation spiral"?
- Coin’s stolen 7000 bitcoins, once again verified the “impossible triangle” of the blockchain
(Image from Xiaobian's computer)
In addition, Bitcoin has made more important progress in mainstream popularization:
– Celebrity effects – from the late rappers (a big plus), to Miss Universe, to the recent NFL (American Football League) stars, they all like their bitcoins.
– Bitcoin entry Wikipedia reads more than Star Wars, singer Redhead Ed, British Royal and Elon Musk.
– Relationship with Starbucks – Starbucks has invested in the Bitcoin futures platform Bakkt, while some Starbucks stores have access to cryptocurrency payment processors and currently accept bitcoin payments.
– The appearance of images in film and television works is getting higher and higher – this is a step that is often overlooked but at the same time impressing the general.
Microsoft loves cryptocurrency
For a long time, Microsoft has been paying attention to the field of cryptocurrency. Adding support for Bitcoin in Excel is consistent with Microsoft's attitude toward Bitcoin for many years. The technology giant began accepting bitcoin payments in 2014 and became one of the first big companies to accept bitcoin payments.
As early as 2017, the company developed an ambitious strategy to catch up with the blockchain trend. Recently, Microsoft has also become an indispensable partner for several luxury brands to enter the blockchain certification. The company is also an important investor in the Bakkt Bitcoin futures platform.
Interestingly, Microsoft not only chose to support Bitcoin, but also built the Bitcoin network directly. The company recently built and launched a decentralized identification tool on the Bitcoin blockchain.
The project, called Ion, will allow users to control their digital identity without relying on a specific company. Those who support the project believe that it will greatly increase the privacy of the browser. Others believe that the system or similar system can store more complex data, such as passports, in the future.
The fact that Microsoft chose to build applications directly on the Bitcoin blockchain, rather than other "faster" blockchains, fully illustrates the tech giant's overall position on cryptographic assets. Bitcoin is by far the safest blockchain. Since this is related to people's identity, it makes sense to choose the chain that is least vulnerable to attack. This also shows that Microsoft bets that Bitcoin will stand out in all other projects in the current encryption arena.
That is to say, at a transaction speed of about 6 per second, Bitcoin is obviously not fast enough to potentially respond to all people in the world who use Ion's identity service. To solve this problem, the data will be stored offline, using Microsoft's Layer 2 solution.