Messari: Uniswap V4, the moment for the platform of crypto applicationsMessari: Uniswap V4 is a pivotal moment for the cryptocurrency application platform.
Platforms have led historical technology returns, such as Social, Spotify, Airbnb, etc., all of which allow other businesses (services or IPs) to deploy code on them, from which the platform takes a cut, a killer business model that is difficult to stifle due to network effects. Messari researcher Saypien believes that Uniswap V4 is the moment for the platformization of crypto applications.
So far, app protocols have been largely independent apps where users go to the app, perform actions, and finish, which is bad business because you have to win that customer every time. Open source will create a moat, but apps still need LPs that provide the most valuable assets (bad strategy). Using the Hook model makes Uniswap a platform where other applications deploy custom logic through hook contracts. Hook contracts earn fees like any application. The Uniswap governance committee can reduce withdrawal fees, which is a platform business. V4 brings huge benefits: 1) shifting revenue burden to hooked apps rather than charging LPs directly; 2) responsibility for feasible end consumer apps is now borne by the apps built on top, uni only does the trimming; 3) defensive business. From a valuation perspective, its reasonable large app protocol and Uni V4-like platform models are starting to merge with emerging chain ecosystems where execution environments (L2, L1, etc.) are commoditized, platform protocols have similar version models but with better defenses.
- Circle restarts buying US treasury bonds as USDC reserve assets
- Messari: Exploring the Evolution of the Web3 Community
- Viewpoint: Arbitrum leads the way into the Layer3 era, Orbit’s innovation and risks
- Is the trend of ordinals spreading to ETH a return or a throwback?
- Long Push: The Opportunities and Challenges of the L3 Era with the Launch of Arbitrum Orbit
- Analysis of FalconX’s On-Chain Behavior: Will the Impact of SEC Persist and Will Institutions Seize the Opportunity to Buy Low?
- The First Step of Ethereum Modularization: Introduction and Working Principles of Proto-danksharding
- AI robots are opening up new horizons
- AI can’t save 618 either.
- Understanding How Proto-Danksharding Accelerates Ethereum’s L1 Rollup Scalability